If you’re going to drink copious amounts of it tonight (and/or every other night… you know yourselves), you should know a little more about it than the price, right? No, not really. But these are funny, so you’re welcome 🙂
1. The ancient Babylonians were the first people to brew beer. And they took their brewing seriously – if you made a bad batch, your punishment was to drown in it.
2. In the Middle Ages, clean water was often hard to find. Many people chose to drink beer instead because the alcohol made it safer to drink than regular water.
3. The Vikings believed that when they died and went to heaven, a giant goat whose udders provided an endless supply of beer would be waiting for them.
4. In 1814, a brewery tank of 3, 500 barrels of beer ruptured, causing a tsunami of beer in London. Two houses were demolished and nine people died.
5. Prohibition in the U.S. lasted 13 years, 10 months and 19 days. When it was lifted, President Roosevelt said, ‘What America needs now is a drink!’ a.k.a ‘Let’s get wasted, muthafuckers!!’
What some famous people have to say about beer:
- You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline… at the very least, you need a beer” – Frank Zappa
- Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals like hydrogen and oxygen, they would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer” – Dave Barry
- All right, brain, I don’t like you and you don’t like me – so let’s just do this and I’ll get back to killing you with beer – Homer Simpson
Happy weekend 🙂